utility obfuscation and obstruction [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Mon May 6 19:20:48 PDT 2002

Just received a letter today from our local big utility wannabe. Central
Vermont "Public Service" is Vermont's largest utility, but tiny on a
national scale. But they try to be lke the big guys, and aparently take
their cues from the folks at NIMO.

I've installed quite a few systems in their territory, and for the past two
years, I've used the Milbank airconditioning type disconnect as the
"utility accessible, locakable, load break rated, visible break disconnect
switch..." required in the Vermont (and many other) state net metering
regulations.

today, I received a letter from CVPS as follows:

"Dear Mr. Wolfe:

"It has come to my attention that your Company has installed Milbank air
conditioning disconnects in lieu of the required disconnect switch on at
least three Net Metered customers.

"This device is a disconnect NOT a switch. It does not meet the
requirements of VT PSB Rule 5.100 " A utility accessible, locakable, load
break rated, visible break disconnect switch with safe working clearances
is required for all installations.

"We are hereby requesting that the locations in question be retro-fitted
with the correct type of switch as soon as possible.

"If you have any questions, please contact me.

Sincerely,

Allan D. St. Peter, P.E.
Electrical Engineer

Is this utility trying to block RE? or just being safety conscious? The
little Milbank disconnects have been recommended for this service by, among
others, John Wiles. (I spoke with him today, and received a few pointers
for combating this, which I will do.) I'm not sure how quibbling about the
definition of a "swtich" is really helping RE move forward. It's
interesting to note of course, that no code or standard, to my knowledge,
has a clear definition of what a "visible break disconnect switch" is.
According to everything I can read in NEC, the Milbank fits the
description. (As John pointed out, one cannot safely trust the handle of a
safety switch to indicate the open or closed position. The mechanism CAN
break. One must see the contacts, which requires opening the safety
switch.)

So I've just written notes to the homeowners (who were copied by CVPS on
the above letter) reassuring them that their installation is safe and code
compliant.

We'll fight this. It will be interesting to see if CVPS attempts to
disconnect the customers' systems. They'd either have to pull the meter,
or, shudder, use the Milbank switch.

I'll let you know how we make out. Any contributions to the defense fund
should be kept cold and presented at the MREF.

Jeff

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm