DC Load Center's [RE-wrenches]

Travis Creswell, Ozark Solar ozsolar at ipa.net
Wed May 1 08:35:17 PDT 2002

Greetings All,

I am designing a rather large system (for me anyway) and I need to step to
load centers that are much larger than I currently see on the solar market.
William, this might be thread that could have application to your recent
question about combiners.  I have some comments about that but haven't had a
chance to respond yet.

Has anyone every used the Cutler-Hammer Products rated for 125/250 VDC?
Specifically PRL3a with GHB breakers.  Supposedly, it will allow for a main
breaker of up to 800 amps and branch circuit breakers of up to 400 amps.
All rated at 125/250 VDC.  By the way, just what do they mean by that?
According to my local Cutler Hammer Supplier they supply CH products to a
local company who makes and installs Telecomm power houses and they are
using them in DC applications.

It's a 48 volt system of course.  The load center needs to have at least
five 30 Amp array inputs with room to grow.  It will also have at least a
2500 watt wind generator, so there is an ~80 amp input.  Kohler makes a
Telecom propane fueled generator that outputs ~ 6 kW of DC.   I'm looking
more into that, and if it looks good then there is 200 amp input.  Two
5548's so there is another two 200 amp inputs.  Finally, the battery bank,
probably use a 400 amp main for that.

Thanks
Travis Creswell
Ozark Energy Services