RE Equipment Standards and Ratings [RE-wrenches]

Richard Perez, Home Power magazine richard.perez at homepower.com
Thu Apr 18 18:46:54 PDT 2002

<x-flowed>
Hello Wrenches

I am a lurker. I am no longer a Wrench, but I do follow your postings
with great interest and attention.

I have some ideas on RE equipment standards and ratings:

YOU FOLKS ARE DEVELOPING THE STANDARDS, AND ARE THE DE-FACTO RATING
ORGANIZATION!

You ask for an independent, third-party, financially-disinterested
organization to rate RE equipment. In America today, we are
conditioned to ask for "professional" help in solving our problems.
We have physicians for our health, we have lawyers for our legal
problems, we have psychiatrists for our psyche, and we have
pathologists for our pathos. I think that RE equipment rating is a
problem we are solving and we've done it ourselves.

If the government were to tackle this problem, then it would cost far
more than the $137,000 dollars spent on just printing Bush's Energy
Plan (and these monies came out of the RE funding in Bush's budget to
add insult to injury, and as a publisher I could have done it for
less than 1/10 the cost, on recycled paper to boot). The government
hasn't a clue. Don't look to them for any meaningful help.

Turn the job over to private testing industry? Check out the latest
Trace and UL problems to determine the accuracy/validity of this path.

You folks are the ones that determine what equipment is capable of
doing. You don't need lab support--you are the lab! Only you have the
geographic and systemic diversity to make any real judgements of a
piece gear's capabilities. Use each others' experiences.

Nowhere does there exist the diversity and honesty of the reports on
this list. Use your experience, and the experiences of other
Wrenches, to design working systems for your customers. Use this very
same realistic info to present to your customers in marketing.

Do this and your are light-years ahead of government and industry. So
what else is new?

Richard
--
Richard Perez