furnace [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Wed Apr 17 11:10:55 PDT 2002

Greetings all,

I just got an off-grid job that is a new, manufacturered home.  It was
delivered to the site completely wired and with most of the
(inefficient) appliances and systems installed.  The home is all set up
for a forced air furnace (ducts installed) although the furnace has not
been purchased yet.

I usually avoid such situations and have only done one off-grid house
with a forced air furnace.

I appreciate any recommendations on (somewhat) efficient furnaces with a
(fairly) small phantom load.  It's a 2,000sf (main level) home with full
basement and an SW will be the inverter.

But the way, the other off-grid home with a furnace that I did was a
little different.  It was primarily used as a summer/vacation home.  I
installed a direct vent LP space heater in the basement and placed a
second thermostat on the furnace that actually powers down the furnace
(with a power relay).  They set the furnace power thermostat at 50
degrees when gone and set the space heater above that.  If the space
heater can't keep up, the furnace powers up.  Not sure I'd want to cycle
power to a furnace as a more daily/normal operation, as the furnace
won't always get through a complete cycle.  It does do away with the
phantom load, which in the vacation home can be a problematic load that
has its greatest demand at the low solar period of winter (and they
aren't home to run the gen-set).

Again, any thoughts greatly apreciated.

Kurt Nelson
SOLutions