answers to GTI questions [RE-wrenches]

Pagan MacKay pagan.mackay at xantrex.com
Thu Jan 31 14:10:11 PST 2002

Hi All,

The following provides some further details in response to Marco's
recent questions about the GTI.

1) All SW series units shipped since December are GTI enabled (rev 4.2)
and fully listed to UL1741 for Off-Grid use.  The GTI has now received
listing to UL1741 for Grid connected use and will begin shipments by Feb
8; however, we have committed first priority to our WIP homeowners and
dealers (see the WIP program details in the UL Information Center at
www.traceengineering.com) and therefore delivery for new orders of GTIs
will probably see schedule dates mid to late Feb.

2) Yes, in order to use sell mode and be code compliant a GTI must be
installed.

3) No, only SWs with 4.2 and other modifications can accept a GTI.
Converting an older SW is not simply a chip change and cannot be done in
the field.

4) Efficiency of the SW in sell mode is improved with the addition of
the GTI. In fact, conversion efficiency in sell mode is within 1% of the
stand-alone efficiency over the whole power range.  In addition, the SW
without GTI saw variation in sell mode efficiency based on grid
conditions (including local THD).  With the GTI we achieve the same
efficiency in all grid conditions.  Another advantage is that the output
power quality in sell mode, including THD, is well with IEEE 519
requirements, below 2% in most cases.

Best,

Pagan

Distributed Power Markets
Xantrex Technology Inc.

Several questions:

1) Is the SW with the new 4.2 software now available from Xantrex? And
how about the GTIs? Are they now ready to ship?

2) In order to be UL-compliant, the 4.2 SW needs to be mated to the GTI
for utility-interactive, sell back mode, right?

3) What about all those formerly UL-listed 4.1 software SWs out there?
Can the GTI be mated to those as well or will the 4.1 versions need a
new chip or need to be sent back to the factory for something more
extensive?

4) Anybody have an idea as to the efficiency hit that the GTI
contributes to the system's output? According to some extensive
monitoring data I have seen, the overall DC to AC efficiency of the SW
in a grid-tied application (with batteries) can be as low as 60 or less
percent. Yuck. The last thing this design needs is another loss of
potential power due to another piece of hardware.

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com