High voltage PV system configurations [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Wed Jan 23 11:31:22 PST 2002

I agree entirely with Bill that 600 VDC still exists on the roof and
anywhere you open the circuit while it is operating.  The advantage of
the multiple 48 vdc subarrays and the ganged breaker disconnect is only
during installation, troubleshooting or if a problem occurs.

As far as eliminating the advantage of the high voltage PV array by
having additional wire runs - it does increase wire losses due to the
increased wire lengths, but wire is a really cheap part of the system
and the currents are low. You still retain the other advantages of a
high voltage system while making it safer to install and easier to
troubleshoot.

If the distances are long, then it might make sense to have a the six
pole "segmenting" disconnect up by the PV array (on the roof) and a
standard type disconnect by the inverter.

We appreciate the feedback from this list and I will try to minimize my
new product "plugs" in the future...

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com