600 vdc arc testing [RE-wrenches]

Christopher Freitas - OutBack Power cfreitas at outbackpower.com
Mon Jan 21 10:37:09 PST 2002

I was asked how far a 600 vdc arc would jump and I didn't know the
answer - so we went out a played around to see in the lab.  Turns out it
will go about 3 inches max before breaking.

If you want to see the actual results,  click on the link on our home
page at www.outbackpower.com - the file is big however - it took 4
minutes to download with a DSL connection (sorry).  We will break it
down into a shorter clip and some stills later today.

We used a 600 vdc battery bank comprised of one hundred 6 volt 10
amphour gell cells from three UPS systems we picked up surplus.  Lots of
water heating elements were connected in series to limit the current to
8 amps DC when the circuit was completed.  This allowed a reasonable,
but not perfect, simulation of high voltage PV array.

Also, we passed the UL1077 tests for our 600 vdc six pole circuit
breaker on Friday.  This PV disconnect allows you to connect six 48 vdc
nominal PV arrays which are then connected in series for high voltage
(600 vdc max)once the breaker is closed. It can also be used as a normal
600 vdc disconnect if the poles are connected in series with wire
jumpers.

After the testing of the breaker we drilled out the rivets and examined
the contacts - very little wear or evidence was visible.  We did over
300 cycles with load on the breaker during the testing - several even
with short circuits applied.

The breaker will mount in a special version of our PV combiner box and
will include a deadfront cover over the terminals.  Check out the
picture in our home power advertisement or on our website.  Production
quantities have been ordered and will be available in late February /
early March.

Christopher Freitas
OutBack Power Systems, Inc.
cfreitas at outbackpower.com  www.outbackpower.com