generators [RE-wrenches]

sunwise at cheqnet.net sunwise at cheqnet.net
Tue Jan 1 11:59:56 PST 2002

Peter Talmage wrote:

> I am looking for input on:

> 2. Really reliable battery chargers in the 50 to 100
> amp range @ 24 volts ?

Greetings Peter,

I was also recently investigating such chargers and went with an Iota.
Although I was looking at a 12 volt charger, Iota does make a 25 amp 24
volt unit (DLS25-24v)  I almost settled on the DLS75 (75 amp), but then
learned that the highest charging voltage you can get out of the Iota is
14.2 and it is not even temperature compensated!  They have an option
called Equalization, but all it does is periodically take it out of
float (13.6) run it bad up to 14.2 again.  I think the 24 volt model is
about double these figures (one source I have says 24/26.2!), but in any
case, the 12 volt charger will never go above 14.2.

I talked to someone at Iota and they do have an adjustable voltage
option (at least for the DLS75) though it is little known/plublished.
Also, unlike the standard DLS75 which has three stage charge control,
the adjustable is single stage.  You set the high voltage setting at a
pot and it will run the bats up there and hold them there.  My
distributor also charges more for this single stage, adjustable model
($40).  I ordered one and it has arrived at the customer's location.
I'll let you know how it works when I get it wired up and he logs some
hours on it.

Kurt Nelson

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com