generators [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Sun Dec 30 09:42:46 PST 2001

Peter,

So far as a "really reliable" 24V charger, I think the choice is between
pretty pricey nuits, and Iota. We've had an Iota 25A 24Vdc unit in for
about 18 months, no problems. We've had a 50A (new model) n for a few
weeks, after 3 failures. Failures were all caused by a mal-ajusted factory
set potentiometer. It allowed the units to output about 59Adc, and this
overdrove the AC side, causing it to fail in aobut 15 hrs of use. They have
resolved this problem (and provided free shipping each way by overnight
express), and the unit appears to be working fine, at about 52.5A dc
maximum output.

It's supposedly more resistant to generator spiking than the Todd units,
but we still recommend turning it on after the generator starts, and
shutting it off prior to generator shutdown.

Kirk mentioned some other unit in a previous post (months ago) that he's
had success with, but the name slips my memory.

We've been using the Onan Commercial Emerald series of propane fired units,
as have many other folks around here. Seem to have good success with them.
Available in 4 and 6.3 kW.

We looked at Solar Converter's controller and almost used it. The one
shortcoming that we found in it was that it had no time delay on connecting
the generator to load, so far as we could see. It also does not include a
load contactor, although Dan can supply one on request.

Jeff

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com