PV Installer Certified Program/Please Read [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 24 15:11:26 PST 2001

Joel,

Connecting wires to the inverter is rarely the problem. Electricians can do
this stuff with help from a manual. Where you see mistakes made is in:

1. reverse polarity of strings.
2. properly sizing the series fuse (the ST comes with 20-amp fuses--very few
20-amp modules on the market).
3. open circuit on strings (not knowing how to troubleshoot string wiring)
4. violation of 120% rule in main service panel for interconnecting breaker.
(this does not happen too much with a single ST since it can be installed on
either a 15 or 20 amp two-pole breaker.)

I certified installer should know that stuff cold.

An electrician has many of the   capabilities needed to install a PV system,
that is why it will typically only mean taking a short course and passing a
test to get certified.

A solar thermal person on the other hand needs a whole bunch of experience
doing electrical work before they can become certified. They may have the
solar and roof skill needed, but the electrical and PV-specific electrical
they are going to struggle with if they haven't had the experience. Make a
mistake in plumbing, things get wet. Make a mistake with electrical, houses
burn down and people die.

Bill.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm