PV Installer Certified Program [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Thu Dec 20 18:09:30 PST 2001

Allan,

Thanks for the ranting.  I agree that substandard solar installations
must not become commonplace.  Knowing that you are helping draft the
NABCEP Certification Program is a relief.  To be honest with you I had
never heard of the NABCEP before.  My greatest concern was that the
people behind the certification were manufacturers who would use the
certification to direct customers to installers of their products.

The California Contractors License board is preparing a new and more
comprehensive C-46 solar exam.  The new exam is expected to be ready by
the summer of 2002.

I am continually studying and seeking more information about PV with the
intention of providing my customers high quality and safe solar systems.
I will be sure to do my best to pass the NABCEP test.

Lately I have been installing Siemens earthsafe systems in Los Angeles,
the only systems that get the full LADWP $6.00 per watt rebate.  Upon
installation completion the building inspector checks out the job.  The
signed permit is sent to the LADWP who sends out their own inspector,
Joe Stadler.  Joe is very knowledgeable about PV and makes sure every
solar installation in LADWP territory is a high quality installation.
We have to use wire rated for 90 degree C wet location, waterproof wire
nuts inside weather tight boxes (we even drill a weep hole on our
boxes), inverters have to be mounted on strut as opposed to being in
contact with a wall and all rooftop hardware must be stainless steel.

I like what the LADWP is doing, they are a forward-looking utility which
is promoting the use of solar power and also making sure that all
installations are safe and effective.

I guess I felt like I was already being regulated enough, but now that I
have given more thought to this subject it seems that stringent
oversight must be applied nationwide.

Graham Owen
GO Solar