PV Installer Certification Program [RE-wrenches]

graham at solarexpert.com graham at solarexpert.com
Tue Dec 18 20:08:09 PST 2001

Wrenches,

I realize that my posting of the NABCEP solar installer certification
program was not welcomed on this website for various reasons, some of
which I do not understand.  As a full time installer of solar equipment
I found this proposed certification program deserves immediate
attention.  As contractors and installers I trust that we each know our
limitations and only take on jobs that we are capable of completing
successfully and professionally. I take a great deal of pride in my
workmanship and some of the testimonials I get make me just as happy as
getting paid.

Personally I think the last thing our industry needs is overbearing
bureaucracy.  I hate to see solar pioneers getting arrows in their
backs.

I have been sent information about the certification program from
CALSEIA and it is their position that this is a matter of great
importance for solar installers (wrenches).  They also stress that the
certification program is still in draft stage and our input is needed
now.  I have added additional information below.

Yours truly,

Graham Owen
GO Solar Company

PHOTOVOLTAIC INSTALLER CERTIFICATION PROGRAM. The North
America Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) is in the
process of creating a certification program for the installers of
photovoltaic systems and requests stakeholder input. The NABCEP program
is intended to be a voluntary national certification that
will be recognized throughout the United States. To become certified,
NABCEP proposes that an applicant would need to accomplish the
following:

 Meet prerequisites of related work experience and training
 Pass a written exam
 Pass a physical skills evaluation
 Provide documentation of work samples

NABCEP plans to develop separate certifications in the future for PV
system designers and inspectors. In addition, NABCEP plans to develop
similar certifications for solar thermal and small wind practitioners.
NABCEP anticipates that the requirements for future programs will be
similar to the requirements developed for PV.

NABCEP requests input on this certification process proposal from the
public - including stakeholder groups such as existing installers,
trades, industry, contractors, state and local officials, utilities,
financial institutions, home builders and consumers. It is vital that
stakeholders, especially PV practitioners who will be candidates for
certification, comment on these requirements while they are in draft
stage. Additional information on

NABCEP and the certification program are available online at
http://www.nabcep.org/
Listed below are some questions that NABCEP is particularly interested
in exploring:

I. Entry Requirements

 Are the prerequisite education and experience requirements appropriate?
 What is the most appropriate way to document PV experience? By the
number and size of installations? Kilowatt-hours? Etc.

II. Written Examination

 Is it reasonable to ask applicants to travel to available examination
sites or should the test be administered online?

III. Physical Skills Evaluation

 Due to the complexity of the equipment and need for trained jurors, it
is likely that these tests would be available on a limited basis - for
example at regional energy fairs, at scheduled training institutes, and
at the available traditional accredited training and testing facilities.
Will this be accessible enough for
certification candidates?

IV. Maintaining Certification

 Are the requirements for maintaining certification appropriate?
 How narrow (or broad) should the list of allowable continuing education
courses be?

Input should be sent to wparker at ispq.org or via mail to: NABCEP, POBox
260095,
Highlands Ranch, CO 80163