PV Installer Certification Program [RE-wrenches]

Rob Wills RWills at AdvancedEnergy.com
Sun Dec 16 15:03:57 PST 2001

A few years ago, Bill and I were at the NY PUC in a room with the two of us
on one side of a huge table and about 30+ utility engineers on the other
(literally).  It was tough going, but we actually won many concessions that
made US interconnection practical.  There were also many points that the
utility interconnection engineers brought up that were valid and that were
taken into consideration in making the IEEE 929 standard. These guys are
professionals who take their job seriously (you can't afford to "oops" a
design for 100MW switchgear).  Many of them are very pro-solar and
pro-distributed generation.

Anyway, I echo the sentiments of Doug and Bill - we need to move on.

Rob Wills

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Brooks [mailto:billbrooks7 at earthlink.net]
Sent: Saturday, December 15, 2001 3:47 AM
To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
Subject: RE: PV Installer Certification Program [RE-wrenches]

Jeff,

Since I was involved in the development of the islanding test I can truly
say that John Wiles had absolutely NOTHING to do with the development of
this test. Any discussion about the validity of the test COMPLETELY misses
the point. Vilifying John on this issue is so wrong and off target that you
need to apologize for even bringing it up.

Since none of you work closely with utility engineers (with the exception of
Rob Wills) you have no concept what our community has been up against to get
grid-interconnected systems to be a reality in many places in the country.
You can bitch and moan about this situation all you want, but the serious
issue at hand is that the credibility of our industry has been shaken by
this incident and we have a very few people to blame for it. Rather than
focusing on blame, however, we must focus on the solutions and how to undo
the damage that has and will result from this fiasco.

Bill.