EMON meter and PV [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Yago jryago at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 4 04:36:34 PST 2001

WE have installed over 50 EMON sub-meters in past 5 years.  Many of our
installations included the IMON panel which allows remote by phone line
reading of up to eight (8) EMON meters per IMON.  To do remote readings you
need a "software key" and software, which gets very pricey.  Unless they
have added this feature recently, these meters cannot be connected directly
to a computer to download data.

Most EMON meters sold are for 3 phase power and 240 or 480 volt commercial
projects to meter multiple tenants in shopping centers and apartment
buildings.  They do make lower voltage and single phase models, but still
about the same price except for fewer CT's. All voltage models are available
with a separate KW demand window and KWH window, but most units require a
"multiplier" for the KWH readings.  You must specify if you want to read KW
demand.

They say easy to install, but we have had lots of problems with multi-phase
units since they require 9 wires to connect and any improper phasing or
reverse of any two wires causes lower readings of KWH without any error
indication.

Their CT's are not very heavy duty and will require making sure they are
installed properly (another cause of low readings but no error).  These are
2 piece models that must be held very tight together and supported properly
around cable.

Of the 50+ we installed, I only remember one total failure, but we had many
problems at almost all installations getting the voltage and current leads
phased correctly.  This was very hard to find since everything appears to
"work" when connected and no smoke (even when connected wrong!)

The above meters were installed at many different locations, by many
different electricians, with many different people checking their work, and
we still only found the improper meter reading problems after several months
of checking their readings against other check meters or a total utility
company meter (sub-meter readings didn't add up to total).

I would rate these a "light duty" commercial meter.  Although lower priced
than several other brands, for slightly more money you can find a more
"computer friendly" sub-meter with many added features.

Good luck!

Jeff Yago

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com