SW-series inverters hazard? [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Sat Nov 24 10:20:27 PST 2001

Wrenches,

Before we get too far down the road on this line of questions, this is
primarily a rear-end covering excercize by UL. I am very concerned about the
impact for the average Joe in California who could be impacted by this
poorly worded press release. There are over 2000 of these inverters
currently connected to the grid in California and they pose no threat or
hazard to our utility system or homes any more than the existing utility
poses. Trace/Xantrex and UL both screwed up majorly on this issue, but the
customer will likely be the ones to pay for these organizations misdeeds.

Time will tell what the implications of the press release are, but mark my
words, utilities do not need this type of ammunition against our industry.
Worst case is that interconnected PV systems could be set back to the stone
age. Best case, this will be a speed bump that will cause an inconvenience
to all customers and installers.

UL needed to protect their name as testers of this equipment, but
unfortunately this message begs the question of UL "what the @#*& were you
doing when you passed this in the first place?" My sense is that they have
not adequately thought that question through--but all utilities will.

I'm sure some good will come out of this, but the wording left much to be
desired. The phrase "Installed in both the U.S. and Canada, these devices
are not authorized to bear the UL Mark" is ambiguous and seems to imply that
everything in the field is now dangerous. Although the unit may not meet the
harmonics or balanced islanding requirements, this does not necessarily mean
that the unit is a HAZARD. Even though the message is titled "MAY POSE
HAZARD", the interpretation by utilities and local jurisdictions will be "IS
HAZARD", which is a very different issue. So much for tact or spin. I'm not
saying they should have lied, but a different choice of words could have
made a big difference.

Bill.