PV Grounding [RE-wrenches]

Eric Smiley Eric_Smiley at bcit.ca
Wed Oct 17 12:16:58 PDT 2001

I asked an inspector before doing exactly the same thing. He quoted the
CEC (Canadian Electrical Code) which states:
Rule 10-906 (3) - The bonding conductor shall be secured to every metal
box by means of a bonding screw, which shall be used for no other
purpose.

His interpretation was that this precludes using the mounting bolts as
bonding method. I don't know what the NEC says, but, as in tax law,
interpretation is the name of the game.

>If the module array rack is metal, when bolting the modules to the rack
you
>can use star washers between the module frame and the rack, tightening
well
>to assure the washers bite into both surfaces. Then just ground the
array
>rack itself. Codeman John Wiles told me years ago this is legal. If a
module
>is removed, the other module frames will still be grounded through
their
>respective star washers.

Eric Smiley
Project Leader - BCIT Technology Centre
NE25-3700 Willingdon Ave. Burnaby, BC V5G 3H2
ph: (604)432-8657  esmiley at bcit.ca  www.tc.bcit.ca

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm