guy tensioner [RE-wrenches]

David Blittersdorf davidb at nrgsystems.com
Fri Oct 12 08:55:37 PDT 2001

Kirk,

We only use turnbuckles on towers for turbines of over 1kw. We have a tensioner
available to grip the wire to help pull it tight. I have also used a "big grip" wrapped on the
cable as a pulling point. Usually in extreme loading conditions such as taking down a
tower with ice on it - not for new-bees. NRG has over 5000 towers and 20 years of
experience with the no turnbuckles - it works. The design pretension is only 200 pounds
and usually two people pulling as hard as the can gets the job done. We pretension to
70-80% of guywire strength and use turnbuckles on larger turbine towers.

Regards,

David Blittersdorf

NRG Systems, Inc.
110 Commerce Street