guy tensioner [RE-wrenches]

Jeff Clearwater clrwater at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 08:39:55 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
Hi Guy,

Perhaps I am missing something, but I have put up several wind towers
and cannot imagine why anyone would want guys without turnbuckles.  I
have found that "tuning" a tower is very important to guard against
resonance failure and that turnbuckles are a must for this process.

It's an easy process to install turnbuckles - all you need is a
come-along, some "big grips" and a few folks.  They cost about $30
depending on cable size.  Once you do, you can then tune your tower
in such a  way that the next wind storm doesn't bring it down.

If you go that route, (and perhaps this is the tool you are talking
about) you'll also need a tension gauge.  I recommend the Loos
Tension Gauge from West Marine (the pro model).  It costs about $60
and is well worth the investment.  You can also measure tension with
a "resonance chart".  Basically you count the freguency of the
standing wave you can establish by rocking the guy back and forth and
knowing the length and cable size and type it tells you the tension.
I find it good for rough adjusments but the Loos gauge takes the
guess work out.

Hope that helps,

Cheers,

Jeff

>Hello,
>
>Any one out there know where I can find a tool to easily tension tower
>(turnbuckle-less) guy wires? I remember some in Home Power selling them, but
>can't find the issue or person's name.
>
>thanks,
>
>Kirk
>

>Vermont Solar Engineering - a Trace Certified Dealer
>Kirk Herander
>PO Box 697
>Burlington, VT. 05402
>www.vermontsolar.com
>800.286.1252 - 802.863.1202
>fax 802.863.7908
>
>- - - -

>List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

>Hosted by Home Power magazine

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeff Clearwater
Ecovillage Design Associates
2525 Arapahoe Ave, Suite E4, #280
Boulder, CO 80302
Community and Village Scale Renewable Energy Systems
303-546-0460, clrwater at earthlink.net

Council Member - Ecovillage Network of the Americas
http://www.gaia.org/secretariats/ena/

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com