insulation [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Bald Mtn. Solar toddcory at jps.net
Wed Oct 3 11:15:48 PDT 2001

Generally I have heard it stated that wood has an R-Value of 1 per inch.
(4" thick roof =R-4).

I would consider R-40 to be the absolute minimum roof insulation for any
cold/hot temperature extreme climate. Here in N CA our home has R-60 in the
attic and R-26 in the walls. Air sealing is just (if not more) important
than insulation value. Caulk the sill plate where it meets the floor and
use expandable foam in all exterior wall cavity penetrations (holes for
electrical wires etc).

Besides the obvious energy savings (for the life of the building) in the
minimal cost of adding insulation during construction (retrofitting is a
total pain and expense) is the added comfort benefits in terms of a home
with less drafts. This means in the winter, heating temperature set points
can be lowered because the home "feels" warmer without air drafts
circulating from poor insulation or air sealing.

my .02

Todd

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com