Trace PS2512 [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Tue Oct 2 22:42:51 PDT 2001

At 10:49 AM 10/2/01 -0400, you wrote:
>We are installing our first Trace PS2512 inverter and we are wondering what
>kind of success, or lack of, wrenches have experienced with these inverters.

David:

Many of the shortcomings of the PS series have been already mentioned.  I
might also expand on the implications with the lack of control:

If you are using a generator that is less than about 6 KVA, the PS, without
means to reduce AC2 draw, may overload the generator when battery voltage
is on the low range.  This puts you in the endless loop of: generator draw
increasing until frequency passes out of lower threshold, generator
unloading, inverter loading generator, etc.  Therefore, generator size is
more of an issue with out the control.

Also, you can not enter LBX or Sell without the remote.  Or use the
metering functions.  Or set AC1 in amps, or any other parameter.  In case
you didn't notice, the inverter without the control is almost useless-- a
false economy.

I have clients with the PS inverters using outboard SWCA (hope that is the
correct model number) controls.  The control display is flaky, requiring
one to hit the Reset button every other time one needs to read or set a
parameter.  One client purchased one control for use with two stacked PS
inverters.  I installed a computer data switch and it works as well as the
SWCA in a single inverter application (reset often).

I noticed that Maui Solar Software has an SWCA based software package.  Has
anyone used it with a PS inverter?

Regards,

William Miller

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com