"Real" Sun Hours [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 26 23:29:22 PDT 2001

Windy,

My associate Tim Townsend knows more about solar data than anybody I know
and he tells me that 96% of the insolation available can actually be used by
a well-designed PV system. That means that if the Red Books says you get an
average of 5.3 kWh/m2/day, you can use 96% of that or 5.1 kWh/m2/day.

It has little to do with thermal or electric. The solar resource is the
solar resource. Systems of various types and styles use that resource
effectively or not.

A slight correction on my previous post. It was pointed out to me by Mark
Mrohs that the Red Books does not discuss "peak sun hours". However, to
convert a daily number like that mentioned above--5.3 kWh/m2/day--one simply
divides by 1 kW/m2 (peak irradiance) to get the equivalent number of hours
the sun would have shown if it only shined at peak intensity (5.3 hours).

Converting that to estimate energy output is extremely tricky and the source
of many huge mistakes. A system capable of 1 kW AC output (1450 WattDCSTC
array) Will produce something near 5.1 kWh per day with a solar resource of
5.3 sun hours. However, this is only true if there is no shading, the
orientation matches the resource data, and the inverter operates at an
average efficiency comparable to the efficiency when the measurement
occurred (not likely).

I like methods that identify were the power goes. Take a look at the
approach in my guide sometime.

Bill.