Bus Bars on batteries [RE-wrenches]

Windy Dankoff, Dankoff Solar windy at dankoffsolar.com
Mon Sep 17 15:04:28 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
>Travis, the problem I have with 2 volt cells is that you are trying to
>overcome the shortcomings of "parallelism" by introducing another weakness.
>The failure of any one 2 volt cell in such a large series installation
>renders most, if not all, of the bank, unusable.

Tom,

If you have half or a third as many cells, you have half or a third
the probability of a premature cell failure every occuring (all else
being equal).

>What I like about my system is that I can have as many series strings
>connected to my system as I want even if a battery or two should fail I
>still have most of the capacity of my system available.

But a customer can have a cell failure in one of several strings and
never even know that it is causing losses, inequalities and other
problems that start out subtle.

I feel very strongly about single-string is best, but we can't always
expect customers to pay much more than they would for
mass-distributed, smaller batteries. Therefore, setting a limit at
(generally speaking) three strings, and using the best techniques
that come from our collective experience, is the realistic approach.

Windy

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm