Overvoltage problem on Trace SW after lightning [RE-wrenches]

Pat Kiernan, Eco Electric, Inc. ecoelec at rof.net
Tue Sep 4 21:03:15 PDT 2001

Windy and Ray,

I was called in to service an SW4024 installation last year that was frying
equipment (computer, cordless tool charger, etc.)  The output measured about
145 VAC RMS (with true RMS Fluke meter). The on board meter indicated 120.
I did not have a scope on site. I was told by Trace (don't remember the
communication channel) that the voltage sensing circuitry (transformer?) had
failed. (The SW was regulating to 145 VAC while the internal circuitry was
perceiving 120 VAC.) We sent it back to Trace and it was returned in 120 VAC
working condition about 2 months later.

I didn't do the original install so I don't know the history.

Pat Kiernan

Eco Electric, Inc.
PO Box 550
Carbondale, CO 81623