Ramping up 3hp pump motor [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Wed Aug 29 14:29:18 PDT 2001

I've never used either of these devices on an inverter (although each of
them basically IS an inverter), but have used many variable frequency
drives in standard utility applications. Good drives have adjustable ramp
up (accel) and ramp down (decel) parameters that can be adjusted on the
circuit board through potentiometers. you can get a very clean ramp up with
this. Basically, this is what a Grundfos SQ and SQ-E have built in. The SQ
has a "soft start unit" and the SQ-E has a complete VFD, (non-field
programmable, I believe).

This SHOULD work. Tough to guantantee it the first time though, as it's a
big chunk of change if there's a problem... Problems to watch for on any
drive (on or off-grid) are electrical "noise" (harmonics) and the control
signal frequency. The harmonics can be filtered if they cause a problem,
but the filters can cost as much, or more, than the drive. The line signal
frequencey can usually be adjusted on the drive (depending upon make and
model) if there is any kind of problem with it. (Sometimes the signal,
which is sent as a high frequency wave on top of the AC from the drive to
the motor, I believe, can cause the motor to set up a sympathetic harmonic
vibration, which can be noisy, and eventually damaging.)

But really, most drives work fine out of the box, "trust me".

Depending upon how deep you want to get into it, you might talk directly to
ABB, a manufacturer of variable speed drives. They might be able to fairly
easily customize a unit for you with no AC front end, taking power straight
of the batteries. You'd end up with an oversized unit this way, as their
units are basically sized based upon a high input voltage, and you'd be
giving them a lower input voltage. But this would divorce it from any
possibel inverter interference / interaction problems.

ABB is very interested in RE, they are making some large inverters for some
large RE project and products (wind and solar), and have shown a
willingness to work on some "special projects" without cahrging ridiculous
sums, if it's an area they want to do more in. We're working ona project
with them right now on a large off-grid inverter. (Can you believe there is
nothing on the market right now, that we can find, for a 20 - 60 kW
off-grid inverter?)

Jeff

Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
Global Resource Options, LLP
A Woman-Owned Limited Liability Partnership
Trace Certified Dealer - Charter Member
Bergey Windpower Certified Dealer
4 Kibling Hill Road
P.O. Box 51