Deep Well (400'-600' TDH) Water Pumping [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Bald Mtn. Solar toddcory at jps.net
Fri Aug 24 16:49:40 PDT 2001

Let me lend my limited experience with DC pumps. I have one customer with a
Solarjack SDSQ128. The pump was set at the 75' level in a 100' well in July of
1992. Being expected diaphragm life is in the 4 year range, after over 8.5 years
I pushed the homeowner to proactively replace the pump with a rebuilt one. It
was a relatively easy job pulling it up by hand.

This pump supplies water for a retreat facility and also does irrigation of many
trees and a few small lawns. It pumps (open discharge) a steady 2 gpm into a
1500 gallon underground tank (controlled by a float switch) where there is a 120
VAC submersible pump for pressure. I have been very impressed with this little
pump. It is miserly on power and has provided many years of excellent no
maintenance service.

As per factory suggestion it was replaced with a factory rebuilt unit. I
understand there were some problems with proper diaphragm replacement in the
field which led to failed, waterlogged motors. Jim Alan of sun pumps sent out a
replacement ahead of time, so the swap was done in about 1/2 a day. He was a
pleasure to work with.

Hope this helps.

Todd

- - - -