Lightning Arrestors [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin - Electrical Energy solar at eagle-access.net
Sun Aug 12 15:19:55 PDT 2001

<x-flowed>
Hi Todd,

The issue of bonding the neutral at separate structures is somewhat of a
confusing issue.  With the '99 code, grounding can still be accomplished
either with equipment grounding conductors that are not connected to the
neutral, or with no equipment grounding conductors and a normal ground rod
connection to the neutral.

If the disconnecting means is in a building separate from the loads, the
bonding connection is not made.  If the disconnect is in the same building
as the loads, fed from a service in a remote building, then the neutral
must be bonded so long as there is no equipment bonding connection.

The 96 Code required a neutral connection to a ground rod in situations
where more than one branch circuit was run, and equipment was present that
require grounding.

96 Code

  250-24. Two or More Buildings or Structures Supplied from a Common Service.
   (a) Grounded Systems. Where two or more buildings or structures are
supplied from a common ac service, the grounded system in each building or
structure shall have a grounding electrode as described in Part H connected
to the metal enclosure of the building or structure disconnecting means and
to the ac system grounded circuit conductor on the supply side of the
building or structure disconnecting means.

Where equipment grounding conductors are not run, the 99 Code still
requires the neutral (or grounded circuit conductor) to be bonded.  The 99
Code still allows one circuit to go to another building without installing
a grounding electrode.

'99 Code
250-32. Two or More Buildings or Structures Supplied from a Common Service
b)
2) Grounded Conductor. Where (1) an equipment grounding conductor is not
run with the supply to the building or structure, and (2) there are no
continuous metallic paths bonded to the grounding system in both buildings
or structures involved, and (3) ground-fault protection of equipment has
not been installed on the common ac service, the grounded circuit conductor
run with the supply to the building or structure shall be connected to the
building or structure disconnecting means and to the grounding electrode(s)
and shall be used for grounding or bonding of equipment, structures, or
frames required to be grounded or bonded.

The rearrangement of the '99 Code makes it hard to follow, but it still
seems the same.

Drake

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm