Couple of things [RE-wrenches]

William Miller wrmiller at slonet.org
Fri Aug 3 10:12:58 PDT 2001

My comments below:

At 11:48 AM 8/2/01 -0700, you wrote:
>1. The made in China/Mexico topic is non-wrench in nature, and I have
gotten a complaint from a list member. I agree that it is off->topic, I
hope you do to.

Agreed, especially where it may have racial or ethnic over-tones.

>2. If folks really want to revisit letting manufacturers' non-tech
representatives on the list, then please contact me by private email. If
>folks don't care or don't want to go through this again, I would be VERY
pleased to see no more email on this at all.

It was a bit of an ordeal, wasn't it?

>3. This list is NOT private. Anybody with WWW access can view it. Vent and
discuss all you want, but please know that >manufacturers are or could be
eavesdropping.

I am well aware of this fact.  I do believe there is a big difference in
perception of those who are members of a group such as this and those who
are not.  I believe anyone downloading from the web will understand the
one-way nature of their participation and understand they are un-empowered
readers only.  What they then do with the information they receive is their
business, but at least we did not SEND them the postings.

Lastly, we've ignored the big issue here:  Do we have any clout with any of
the manufactures?  Was all of the time we spent trying to help Trace
improve the SW line a big waste?  Have any of the improvements been
implemented?

I think Pagan is a very nice person, but I have not seen anything to
indicate she can accomplish anything with Trace.  It seems her job is to
pacify us.  I reviewed just now my communications with her and only one
thing we discussed has ever been resolved:  The GSM is now available.  The
rest of my complaints/suggestions were simply not responded to after the
first two e-mails.

I don't want to disrespect Trace, and I especially don't wish to disrespect
any of their employees.  They have the best and most complete line of
inverters and associated equipment out there.  But having said that, I
think most of us will agree there are some serious flaws with the
equipment.  It would be nice, in an ideal world, if we could work together
in some sort of utopian manner to resolve these deficiencies.  Looks like
this may not happen.  In a free market, we can only hope another
corporation can step in and offer a product line at least a little bit
better.  This will either replace Trace or scare them into improving the
product.  I am un-crating my first Sunny Boy today!

William Miller

William Miller
SLO Communications: Communications and Power Systems Consulting
PO Box 50, Santa Margarita, CA 93453
Voice :805-438-5600		Fax: 805-438-4607	VMail: 805-546-4875
email: wrmiller at slonet.org
License No. C-10-773985
Compatibility:
Word processor: WP7
Spreadsheet: Quatro Pro 7
CAD: Microstation 95, DXF, Visio 4.1T
"I stand by all the misstatements that I've made." Dan Quayle

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com