Mobile system grounding [RE-wrenches]

Chuck Heath, SunPower sunpwr at jps.net
Sat Jul 28 17:46:42 PDT 2001

>I'd appreciate any tips on how you do the grounding (and any other notable
>items) on mobile systems. I'm working on an 800-watt trailer-mounted system
>with preconfigured Trace Power Module containing a C-40, PVGFP, SW inverter,
>and associated disconnects. I plan to supply ground-fault protected outlets
>via a standard AC breaker panel in the equipment bay.
Noel Kirkby of RV Solar Electric in Scottsdale, AZ
<www.rvsolarelectric.com> recommends a "Catastrophe Fuse" between the
frame of an RV (or van or trailer, I presume) and the _negative_ side of
the batteries, both engine starting and coach (or solar) batteries. He
says this can avert a vehicle fire, blowing only if a short circuit
occurs.

For RV use, he supplies a 300A Class T. He recommends installing the fuse
within 2 ft. of the battery using 2/0 wire. The inverter neg. goes
directly to the RV frame, not through the fuse.

My work van grounds the starter battery neg. and solar battery neg. to
the van frame, but so far, without the "catastrophe" fuse of PVGFP. It
features a SW2512, DC250, C40 and TM500 with a pair of MSX-60's mounted
on the drivers' side, charging a custom-built 450AH solar battery. All
components are mounted on a custom laminate board and backwired, so there
is no conduit showing. It's a great way to show a complete, working
system and have power to run your tools on the job.

Other wrenches care to comment on the advisability of adding this
"catastrophe" fuse to the negative battery bus?

Chuck Heath "Plugging into Sunshine since 1989"
Serving California's North Coast (Sonoma, Napa, Marin, Mendocino and Lake
Counties)

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm