M75 Siemens low voltage problem [RE-wrenches]

Bill Brooks billbrooks7 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 25 10:32:57 PDT 2001

Dave,

I think you may have more than a diode problem. Lightning can certainly
knock out a diode, but it sounds like a portion of the module was damaged as
well. Those cells could be back biasing to provide the current and heating
up--that's often what you find in large arrays with an infrared camera.  It
could be that the battery is back biasing those cells and losing power that
way. A third of the module is acting like a resistive heater. Without the
diode to pass the current around these damaged cells, the current must pass
through them and dissipate energy.

Remove the diode, retest the module. It will probably exhibit low Voc. That
means you need a new module.

Bill.

To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm