system monitor for net metered systems [RE-wrenches]

Doug Pratt dpratt at pacific.net
Sat Jun 23 21:48:51 PDT 2001

"Todd Cory, Bald Mtn. Solar" wrote:

> Hi Doug,
>
> Two questions...
> One how much did Ethan's package cost?
> Two, is that a realistic example for the (in)efficiency of the SW-4024?
> I know they are BAD... but curious how bad.

Hi Todd,
  Ethan's package cost around $500-$600, dealer cost (pardon the wide range,
I'm typing from home, relying on vague memory, and there's quite a few
options).
  I hope that the 250 watts loss I mentioned in my example is NOT a
realistic example of battery and inverter losses. But, as I said, I haven't
put one of these spiffy multi-channel monitors into use yet. Losses can be
reduced very significantly by lowering bulk and float charging voltages, and
by reducing the bulk charge time to a minimum.
  Last year I had a dual SW system with large wet-cell battery bank that was
managing to absorb about 5kW of a 7kW PV array on the factory default
settings. The owner was NOT impressed with his system performance! A bit of
tweaking on the charge settings did wonders for it.

Doug

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm