wind power and reality [RE-wrenches]

Charlie Robb, Element Engineering element.eng at quista.net
Wed Jun 13 02:07:20 PDT 2001

>on the bleeding edge instead of the leading edge of small wind machines

Excuse us! You're entitled to your opinion. There are plenty of stronger
machines out there for more money, so take your choice, our customers get
what is best for their site and their budget. Few of the turbines will
generate much below 16mph, but then much of Northern Britain averages more
than that. 25% capacity factor on a turbine at £1 - £3 per watt compared to
10% cf or worse on PV at £3 - £4 per watt - Wind wins, with perhaps some PV
for summer input.

Put your washing machine on spin cycle for a year or so and see if it
doesn't need some maintenance! I don't understand why people expect wind
turbines or any rotating machines to run forever for free. AIR turbines have
a bad reputation for wearing out, but they are cheap little workers when
they are good. We amateurs were having an interesting discussion on how to
make them last a bit longer.

Vroom vroom, you can hear them generating all right. Might upset chickens
but unfortunately it doesn't scare the geese away.

Charlie

Charlie Robb
Element Engineering

77 Society Road
South Queensferry
Edinburgh
EH30 9XP      UK

Tel: 0131 331 5835
Fax: 0131 331 5848
Mobile: 07887 991866

"Disclaimer:

This e-mail is intended only for the addressee and may contain
information that is confidential or privileged.  If you are not the
intended recipient you must not use, disclose, distribute, copy, print
or rely on this e-mail.  If an addressing or transmission error has
misdirected this e-mail, please notify the author by replying to this
e-mail."

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm