Voltage drop musings [RE-wrenches] (now SolarBoost)

Allan Sindelar, Positive Energy, Inc. allan at positiveenergysolar.com
Wed May 23 18:26:37 PDT 2001

Joel,
Slow on this response...No, I don't think so. The Sunny Boy system is
different, I think, but Trace is still the dominant inverter for batteried
intertied systems. The Trace has no MPPT capability on the array in, so a
Solar Boost will act as a current-boosting DC-DC converter, supplying more
amps to the Trace for inversion and sell-back. Yes, the batteries would be
OK either way, but the boost makes the difference.
On the other hand, I doubt that the boost in kwhrs produced would pay for
the Solar Boost, so maybe you're right.
Either way, you would want to consider some sort of charge regulation, maybe
just a relay operated off the Trace's R9 control, in case the system ever
operates independent of the grid.
Just musings...
Allan @ Positive Enn