absorption air conditioning [RE-wrenches]

Jeffrey Wolfe, Global Resources global at sover.net
Thu May 17 19:42:43 PDT 2001

Bill,

Sandia and NREL are NOT the labs that should be developing it. What you are
talking about really is super efficient AC. Compatible with ANY source of
electricity. What we need is the DOE (and the White House behind it) to
take a lead and require not 20 or 30% efficiency gains, but 40 and 60%
efficiency gains. Industry really could do this if required, or if there
was a demand for it.

There is no black magic in AC. It is all based upon refrigerant properties,
heat exchanger surface area, and motor efficiencies. Sure, someone may
discover a more efficeint refrigerant, but this would still most likely be
an incremental improvement. The three laws of thermodynamics provide an
upper limit of conversion of "energy into air conditioning" (but PLEASE do
not ask me to quote those laws. I just know I can't violate them.)

The most efficient AC we've found is geothermal with a standing water
column well. I've not had a customer who has wanted AC off grid and had
enough money, but the technology on the shelf is capable of a SEER of about
30, vs about 16 -18 for the best standard boxes.  The other secret is to
UNDER size the unit. This makes it work at full load where it typically is
more efficient, and it also will do a better job dehumidifying, which makes
warmer temps feel cooler.

Other tricks to use, spray water (make sure it's not hard or corrosive)
over the AC unit condenser. MAkes it work better, as it cools the air that
cools the condensor. Use the AC at night, then keep the house shut up in
the day. THe AC at night works better because the outside air is cooler,
making it more efficient on the condensing unit. Keep the condensing unit
in the shade. Make sure it's got a full charge of refrigerant.  Vacuum the
coils, both inside and out, often.

Of course, we could just realize that the vast majority of houses in this
country were not air conditioned even 20 years ago, and few were air
conditioned 40 years ago. Is global warming making it that much hotter, or
are we just all getting too used to the creature comforts?

A whole house fan is still the best bet in a lot of areas. We converted our
suburban house to this system, and only ran the AC when the mother-in-law
visited.

Jeff

Jeffery D. Wolfe, P.E.
Global Resource Options, LLP
A Woman-Owned Vermont Limited Liability Partnership
4 Kibling Hill Road
P.O. Box 51
Strafford, VT 05072
802/765-4632