120V KWH (was:Solar Guerilla danger?) [RE-wrenches]

Mr. Sharkey sharkey at eugeneweb.com
Tue Apr 24 07:17:10 PDT 2001

>Here is the question... could there be a
>whole bunch of grid-tie systems out there that aren't getting credited
>with the true ammount of KWH's produced because they are feeding 120vac
>only through one leg of 240 volt meter?

	Kurt,

	I'm going to jump on your question here:

	The answer is no. Any 240 volt KWH meter that is connected to the gird has
it's "field" coils (probably not the correct terminology, but..) connected
to 240 volts. It matters not if the measured current is through one or both
legs, it will read correctly.
	The problem you had with the low reading on a meter connected to 120 volts
is that you weren't energizing the fields with 240, you were energizing
them with 120. Guess what, it runs at *half speed*, like any good motor
should. The correction for this is quite simple, and I will post a diagram
for anyone who wants to see how it is connected to allow operation at 120
volts. I think HP had some diagrams in one of the very early issues that
explained this also.

	-S

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com