NiCd Setpoints [RE-wrenches]

Mr. Sharkey sharkey at eugeneweb.com
Fri Apr 6 12:26:09 PDT 2001

	Travis;

	Excuse me if I stoop to pick a nit, but if what you have are true Edison
cells, then they aren't nickle-cadmium, but nickle-iron. Either way, you're
still looking at ten cells in series for 12 volts and elevated charge
voltages.
 	If the batteries were dry, it's probably time to rebuild them again, as
oxygen from the atmosphere has likely contaminated the plates. The good
news is that rebuilding Edison cells is a fairly simple process, which
doesn't involve disposal of toxic cadmium sludge from the bottom of the
cell casings.
	I think HP has run a couple of articles on the subject, and I've had some
conversation with Richard Perez about the same. These batteries are
definitely worth resurrecting. Once that is accomplished, a proper
regulator will keep them functional for decades to come.

	-S

- - -
To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com