Frigidaire washer [RE-wrenches]

Ezra Auerbach, Trace Engineering ezra at lasqueti.net
Wed Apr 4 08:35:19 PDT 2001

Hi all,

The "Trace employee" Joel is referring to is me.  I recall sending an email
on this subject to the list months ago.  To recap, all the SW series (except
the now-discontinued SW2512) have the same max AC output (a.k.a. surge).
The apparent difference, that is to say loads which will start of SW40XX but
not of SW5548, is caused by the amount of voltage sag during surge allowed
by the various models.  The larger, 5.5 kW model does not allow AC voltage
to drop below 117 Vac while the smaller 4 kW models allow a much greater
sag.  The end result is ""soft starting" whereby the motor winds up slowly
from a lower-than-line voltage.  I believe I sent a table of voltage drop at
max AC amps to the list.

Ezra