Fried Combinor Box [RE-wrenches]

Todd Cory, Bald Mtn. Solar toddcory at jps.net
Mon Apr 2 12:23:59 PDT 2001

I don't think it is as cut and dried as that... but generally, the higher
the current, the more the places in a circuit with electrical resistance
has a negative effect. In RE systems one sometimes finds low voltage DC at
currents were resistance losses would be something to avoid. I suppose
wire nuts could be used with no problems but I tend towards connections
that are either crimped and soldered lugs, screw down terminals or split
bolts.

Same with 120 VAC wiring... I avoid the push in terminals on receptacles
and tail out the splice (if the circuit continues on to another device)
with wire nuts and connect the device to the tails with the side screws.
How many times have we each gone out on electrical service calls where a
whole string of devices was dead because the homerun started going through
the (now failed) push in terminals in the back of a receptacle. It just
isn't good practice to invite problems through poor mechanical and high
resistance paths that are prone to electrical losses and failure.

Todd

mmangelsdorf at hei.com wrote:

> Todd,
>
> How do you define "low voltage DC"?  12, 24 even 48?
>
> marco

- - -
To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com