Fried Combiner Box [RE-wrenches]

Rob Wills RWills at AdvancedEnergy.com
Wed Mar 28 08:06:22 PST 2001

Thanks John - No need to reply to the list from my - you covered it all

RW

-----Original Message-----
From: jberdner at sma-america.com [mailto:jberdner at sma-america.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 27, 2001 12:29 PM
To: RE-wrenches at topica.com
Subject: RE: Fried Combiner Box [RE-wrenches]

Rob:

I don't think the boards were conformal coated but we did use the 1/4"
spacing on the PCB.

So far I have only heard of two electrical failures of the TCB-10 (PCB-10).
This is out of over 1,000 units in the field.
 The first was Travis' and I think this was an over voltage failure.
The second was Don's and I think that one was a manufacturing defect in the
fuse holder or assembly.
If anyone is aware of any other failures out there please let me know and
I'll forward the information to Pulse.
While I don't work there anymore I do talk with them on a regular basis.

One of the things I have recommended to Pulse is conformal coating of the
boards for future production runs.
While I am not sure condensation was the cause of the two failures, it
certainly wouldn't hurt.
Obviously the cost would increase slightly but it may not increase the
prices from Pulse.

If you have any questions or I can be of any further assistance please do
not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

John Berdner

SMA-America, Inc.