230 volt 50hz radio [RE-wrenches]

R. Sparks Scott sharkey at mrsharkey.com
Mon Mar 5 16:48:22 PST 2001

>Hello wrenches, here's one I haven't run into yet,
>I spoke with a fellow who brought a antique radio back from overseas to eats
>230 volts @ 50 Hz, anyone got an easy way to power it on US power.

	Bob;

	Tell him to plug it in and turn it on. There isn't enough difference in
freq to make anything blow up in the radio. It my be less efficient on 50
Hz, and maybe a  the B+ and fillament voltages will be a little different,
but old tube-type stuff won't care very much. It might have a bit more hum
in the audio due to less effective filtering of the high voltage, but
that's about all.

>Strangely enough I have a 1500 watt 230 volt, 2 wire 50 Hz diesel generator
>here.

	The only difference between a 50Hz generator and a 60Hz generator is the
RPM of the motor, and any governor that regulates that RPM. If there is a
mechainical freq/speed adjustment, you can probably tweak it up to 60Hz
without much trouble.

	-S

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com