Heat redistribution/timer [RE-wrenches]

Holt Kelly hkelly6 at attglobal.net
Thu Feb 22 06:51:45 PST 2001

Hello Gary,
I have sold and installed woodstoves for over 20 years. It has been my
experience that with the assist of a ceiling fan in the same room as the
stove that, with good placement of the stove within the house, working with
the passive air flow within the house eliminates the need to use the furnace
blower. Besides the increased use of electricity, the btu output of the
stove will have to be increased to heat up all that air inside the ductwork
and there is heatloss in moving all that air into the attic.
Passive air movement using thru wall (or floor, if two-story) registers has
worked very well in the past for me. If you do need a little mechanical
assist you can get the registers with very efficient fans (usually less than
25 watts, 50cfm, very quiet) that have built in switches. Further, the use
of these registers allow you to do some zone heating if needed.
Hope this option helps. Might save your client a little money and make for
more efficient use of both electricity and wood.

Holt E. Kelly
Holtek Fireplace & Solar Products
Waco,TX.