SW4024 switching issue [RE-wrenches]

info at backwoodssolar.com info at backwoodssolar.com
Thu Feb 8 11:31:54 PST 2001

I think the SW transfer speed is marginal for computer use, depending on
loads on the inverter at the time.  Our office of 3 computers runs off one
inverter, the rest of the house off another. NOT stacked, as that is asking
for added problems unless absolutely required.  In fact, one is SW, the
other is ProSine.

I installed the ProSine to get the added battery charging amps, otherwise a
smaller unit could have run the computers.  But with ProSine running the
office, the computers crashed each time generator was cut off, even using
the disconnect breaker manually prior to stopping the engine.  I reversed so
the SW has computers and the ProSine the house.  Rarely an interruption to
computers now, never when controlling from the inverter panel. Also the
manual generator breaker cut off method as well as the kill switch for the
engine usually get away without computer glitches too... UNLESS there is a
large load on the same inverter like photocopy at the same time.  In that
case the larger load depletes whatever stored power is spanning the gap in
source power, and at least two computers will dump. I solved it by just
moving the photocopy to the other inverter.
Steve Willey, Backwoods Solar Electric Systems www.backwoodssolar.com