Wind tower engineering [RE-wrenches]

Roy Butler, Four Winds RE roy at four-winds-energy.com
Fri Feb 2 16:24:05 PST 2001

Hello everyone,
    I've been having problems with SW Windpower for some time now. They are
very evasive....almost never admitting it when they're wrong. This latest
H900 vaporware fiasco is the icing on the cake for me....I'm not going to
be promoting their products anymore. And it's a shame because the Whisper
line has (in my opinion) great potential once they work the latest round of
bugs out of them!
    As for tower engineering...have you folks looked into the latest Bergey
offering? They're doing a lot of good work there on UPS-able towers for the
smaller gennies. And they're supposed to have that Holy Grail, the
engineering stamp on 'em.
    I for one am switching to Bergey....unfortunately that leaves me
hanging with a HUGE gap between the 1000 and 7,500 watt units. That was
Whisper's strong point.....they had the 1000, 1500 and 3000 watt units
which always sold good for me. I've got around 38 units out there and the
only ones I've NOT had warranty issues with are the H900 (now the H40).
    Anyway....I was hoping that Andy at SWWP would have his act together by
now but I see it's not happening. Too bad.....gives the wind industry and
us "wind weanies" a bad rep. I subscribed for a while to the AWEA wind
list....it had turned into the Andy Kruse versus Paul Gipe show there for a
while.....Paul Gipe's been harping on SWWP for a lot of the same issues
that have been raised here. And after all that I see no improvement....sad!

    FYI....I'm all ears for info regarding GOOD wind generators and towers.
Especially in that lower 1.5KW to 3KW range. Maybe some serious competition
would wake up these manufacturers....maybe? Hmmmmm......rant off....

Roy Butler
Four Winds RE
Arkport, NY
www.four-winds-energy.com