experience with solarex, solec, kyocera & seimens modules [RE-wrenches]

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection econnect at snowcrest.net
Sun Jan 28 17:18:12 PST 2001

<x-flowed>Yo Tom,
I'm with you on the Siemens. I just wish they (and everybody else)
would give 45 or 50 degree C ratings. BTW, I've had a few Kyocera
J-48 modules from 1989 or so vintage go blooey. Kyocera made them
right (at my expense to remove them and send them back, of course),
but there you are.
Best, Bob-O

>Some comments about multicrystalline Solarex and Kyocera, and Siemens panels.
>
>During the 80's we uses Solarex, Solec, and Siemens panels almost
>exclusively - we noticed a lot of Solarex panels would have voltage
>but no amperage on extremely hot summer days.  We labeled this
>thermal intermittance.  There was a large failure rate of Solarex
>modules.  They replaced all modules under their warranty.  I would
>never recommend Solarex modules.  We never experienced this failure
>on Solec or Siemens (Arco) modules.  In 1989 we started using
>Kyocera modules - they never had this stype of failure either.
>
>In 1996 we moved our offices to the edge of a swamp at Paynes
>Praire.  It is a place full of alligators, deer etc.  When the
>Praire floods the alligators often block the highway sun bathing on
>the pavement.  Our office and warehouse are under huge Live Oak
>trees covered with Spanish oak. It's a horrible spot for solar
>energy.  We have  to face our solar arrays east, souteast across the
>highway to get half a day of power.  It is often foggy earlier in
>the morning until noon.  The single crystal Siemens modules put four
>times the amount of power into the battery bank under those
>conditions than Solarex or Kyocera modules.  I'm convinced single
>crystal panels work better under low sun conditons.  Any wrenches
>who stop by, I'll treat you to an aligator and crawdad lunch and a
>visit  14 feet long gators.
>Tom Lane

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com