Another bad solarex story [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Sun Jan 21 08:03:28 PST 2001

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind wrote:
> Jim,
>    I am a newcomer to the field and in a little over a year and a half I
>    have
> sold about 100 PV's ( 60 to 120 watt panels).  I'm sure some of you guys
> have
> sold thousands or tens of thousands.  Am I right or is this wishful
> thinking?

John,

I don't know about the tens of thousands part, especially for sales at
the dealer level.  Certain dealers who have been around for a good
number of years could be in the lower thousands somewhere, though.
Distributors certainly have pushed modules through the doors by the
thousands over some years.  That's what I was involved with for about
twelve years or so but even I don't have an idea what that volume
amounted to anymore.  I would think that number is certainly in the
thousands somewhere.  Manufacturers, of course, will do their own direct
selling to end users on occasion particularly on big government projects
and other high profile undertakings.  Manufacturers will also consume
their own product in house in various ways as well.  Nonetheless, when
you take all dealers and/or system integrators as a group worldwide you
probably have easily at least a thousand dedicated practitioners of
varying consequence.  Assuming each one buys a hundred modules per year
on average that alone amounts to at least 100,000 modules.  Odds are the
number is higher even.  The important thing to remember, however, is
that it is the dealer/installer guy who is most proficient at - and most
critical to - mainstreaming the product into the general marketplace and
assuring that it all works reliably.  Manufacturers can't do that and
distributors can't do much better generally.  Solar modules just by
themselves are kind of worthless unless utilized somehow.  They are mere
commodities.  Some marketers can profit from the commodity trade in
modules but the end user still needs expertise and that doesn't come in
a brown box. What is that expertise really worth in the overall scheme
of things?  It's worth a lot to those who buy stuff from you and to
those who sell you that stuff.  Both would have you do as much as you
can without having to pay for your real worth to them, but don't let
that get out of hand.  That's how promising businesses get into trouble.
 Solar people, from my experience, are typically idealists and many
times undertake efforts which go beyond the call of reasonable duty.  I
speak from historical personal experience here. :-}   But there comes a
point when enough is enough.  In business you have to survive first.
Failing that, it all becomes moot.  Then it becomes just an expensive
hobby and a line item on your resume.  So, in short, it may not be how
many modules you sell or how many systems you put in but how well you do
all that and at what kind of profit.  That is where the higher powers
that be need to interface with you better for the general good of
everybody involved in the loop.  I rest my case.  I wish you all well.
And me too.

Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
Business Email: JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com