Bad wind genny deal [RE-wrenches]

John Blittersdorf, Cent. VT Solar & Wind cvsolar at aol.com
Fri Jan 19 19:11:42 PST 2001

Travis,
   Thanks for the Onan parts source.  I have the manual on the way.
I'll jump back in here if I can't get that genny working.  This installation
(not mine) was put in in 1984 and the Onan worked flawlessly all those years.
 This is only the 2nd time in 17 years the owner has had to call for service.
(And this person is NOT a do-it yourself type person.  He doesn't even know
which way the circuit breakers are supposed to be switched!  The first call I
got was "system down" .  (David-Chip says Hi)  After a while stumbling around
in the dark looking at a system I had never seen before, I found the tripped
breaker feeding the generator power to the SW4048.  Got it going just in time
before the whole system died.  Battery voltage was down to 40 volts. (I did
have 4 12v batteries in the car if I needed to do a jump start of the
inverter).  To get him back on line this time, I added some cord to the
Lister 48v charger and a plug to plug into his 3600watt Kubota generator.  I
was worried that it wouldn't handle the load, but it did fine.  I was getting
42 amps at 50vdc into the batteries.  Definitely a lot noisier than the Onan
but this setup is buying me some time to get the rats nest of corroded wires
and broken relay replaced.

John Blittersdorf
CVSolar

To send a message: