Trace wish list [RE-wrenches]

Drake Chamberlin, Quicksilver Electrical solar at eagle-access.net
Fri Jan 19 18:33:23 PST 2001

Hi Allan,

Cutting the ring of insulation to hold the strands together does work
well.  I  read your earlier Wrench posting describing that method
and have used it.

But why not make it easy?   The extra cost of the larger lugs probably
wouldn't
amount to the labor cost of messing around with the ring of insulation.

I think that some of the old Ananda boxes might have used oversized
lugs.  At
any rate, I've put finely stranded cable in larger lugs and it has been
so easy
it made my head spin.  It was so easy that it seemed crazy not to always
use big
lugs .

Unless I have oversized lugs, I will continue to use your trick of
cutting a
ring of insulation and sliding it to the end of the wire.  It is a great
tip.
Thank you.

Drake

allan wrote:

> Drake,
>     Don't need big lugs, at least not up through 4/0 X-Flex.  Here's what
> works for us, quick and easy:
> 1. Slice 3/8" of the insulation radially off the end of your cable and pull
> it off.
> 2.  Make a second radial ring of insulation 3/8" long.  Don't remove it, but
> pull it almost to the end of the cable.
> 3. Stick the end of the cable in the lug.  The insulation holds the strands
> together.  Once the tip is in, push the cable in the full 3/8" that's
> exposed.
> 4. Now slice the ring of insulation longitudinally, peel it off, and push
> the cable in the rest of the way.
>
> Allan @+E;)

To send a message:
 RE-wrenches at topica.com