more BAD solarex modules, etc. [RE-wrenches]

Jim Hartley grail at inil.com
Wed Jan 17 15:07:48 PST 2001

Bob-O Schultze, Electron Connection wrote:

> Getting any of
> the manufacturers to participate would be key to having the list be a
> force of change. Frankly, that's where I'm cynical. No one admits
> fault these days without being forced to by legal means. Sad but
> true, the bean counters and lawyers rule.

Except where market pressure is concerned.  That's when problems hit the
buyers wallet and they tire of being had.  Lawyers can rant all they
want and bean counters can count whatever they get but if no one is
buying enough to keep them going, it all becomes academic.  Further,
consumer power, also being money driven, does represent a lot of clout
when it's earnestly practiced.  The airing of legitimate issues assists
consumers [and we ARE consumers of PVs ourselves, aren't we?] in
balancing out this lop-sided equation.  Just consider how many people
consult Consumer Reports and such publications prior to buying anything.
 We do live in an age of increased consumer awareness and
sophistication.  Our revenue proceeds from THEM and if we want to keep
them funneling good money at us, we'd better be prepared to keep them
satisfied.  But your point is well taken and that had occurred to me -
what you say.  I was offering up a velvet glove first. :-)

So while I suspect that if
> we went to the trouble of codifying an RERx, it would still be voices
> crying in the wilderness.

May be.  But how do we know unless we try?

After all, how many PV manufacturers, for
> example, have gotten off the ridiculous 25°C "industry standard"
> after EVERYONE complaining about it for lo these many years?

We create our own, more logical real world standard if necessary.

> On the other hand, IF-I say again, IF- we could get a single PV and
> one inverter manu on board and cooperating with us on a real level,
> the heat would be on for the rest to put up or shut up.

Somehow I think some are out there, just waiting to participate in
something like this.  After all, it is a form of mutual aid society.
We don't want to put anybody out of business necessarily.  I doubt that
we could anyway.  That wouldn't be the objective.  We just want to make
the business they have going prosper through excellence and,
correspondingly, our own.  Right?  Or is that too rational?

Maybe we should propose this idea to someone like Sam Vanderhoof and see
what he thinks.  Perhaps Applied Power would like to take the lead in
such an arrangement.  Just a thought that popped into my head from
seeing the latest stuff on their status.  Start somewhere.

Jim Hartley
http://www.homestead-specialties.com
Business Email: JamesHartley at homestead-specialties.com
Direct Email: grail at inil.com