Roof mounting [RE-wrenches]

Jason Fisher, Aurora Energy aurora at toad.net
Thu Dec 20 20:30:13 PST 2001

Nice job Graham. The only thing I'd add as a tip is that when working on
existing composition roofs, I always make sure I find the edge of the
rafter so that I can be sure that I am hitting the center of it with my
lag bolts. A 16p nail and a hammer works almost better as a finder than
a drill bit I think since you don't run into the situation of wondering
whether you just drilled your 1/8" hole through the rafter or into the
attic (don't waste any money on any electronic stud finders in my
experience). To patch any mistakes or popped nails you might find in an
existing roof, I use a small piece of AL flashing gooped in sealant and
slid under the shingle course.

Jason Fisher
Aurora Energy

- - - -