third Party Installations [RE-wrenches]

Baran Galocy livewire at c-zone.net
Fri Nov 2 07:16:31 PST 2001

Wrenches,

I am seeking feedback from installers and making a request of the companies
for whom I install pv systems.

I am often sought out by pv sales outfits as an installer for a sale that
was made in my service area.   The systems most always uses a Trace Power
Panel as the core.  This practice of selling owner/builders power panels
seems to be ubiquitous.  I can only speculate that these devices have a nice
margin of profit for the sales rep. (duh!) and it is easier to spec. out a
power panel rather than an inverter, DC250, charge controller, etc.  The
problem is that the Trace Power Panel is not a one-size-fits-all solution.
I have had to remove devices from the steel backing for installation on a
job because the p.p. wouldn't fit.  The sales people are not following
through asking the right questions about location, and letting the customer
know just how ungainly these are.  They also limit my clients' choice
(whether or not my client knows it at the time of purchase) by coming
pre-installed with non-MPPT charge controllers, switching boxes that will
never be used off-the-grid, and various lengths of 4/0 wire and metal flex
that have little bearing on the real world.

Fellow wrenches - what say you?  Do you prefer the power panels or
assembling the components yourself?  I, for one, prefer a choice.

Sales reps - Your input, please.  I know that some of you sell to people who
don't  even know the panels go "blue side up", and the power panel saves a
multitude of sins.  On the other hand, my request would be for you to ask
the person for local input, especially if you feel that they will be looking
for help before this whole project is through.    You may sell the system,
but I am the person who gets to marry the system.  I'm wedded to all me
installations - when people have a problem, they call me.  I am always happy
to work time and material as a consultant / installer for any client of any
sales person.  No, I won't try to sell them something instead of you - I
could do that about once before getting black listed.  What I guess I am
asking is for the clients' needs to be placed ahead of commissions - all
things being equal.  When I am not included in the equipment choosing
process, I am generally forced to make chicken salad out of chicken poo -
the old square peg in the round hole complaint.  I also hate seeing a client
receive bits and pieces of wire, flex, etc. that they will never use, but
must still pay for.

If this is an old or well-beaten subject, you need not respond.  I would
enjoy a consensus, however.

Namaste - Baran Galocy DBA HelioElectric

- - - -
To send a message: RE-wrenches at topica.com

List rules & etiquette: http://www.mrsharkey.com/wrenches/etiquete.htm

Moderator: michael.welch at homepower.com