"Real" Sun Hours [RE-wrenches]

Chris Daum info at oasismontana.com
Wed Sep 26 12:56:09 PDT 2001

Hi Travis and all:

An smartie engineering buddy of mine came up with this idea for an
"insolation measuring system".  Here it is from him, verbatim:

Have your customer get a solar module (whatever
wattage he wants), TM-500 w/shunt and a battery.  Wire the solar module so
that it is short circuited through the shunt.  Mount the TM-500's circuit
board to the side of the shunt and run its fused power lead to the battery
positive.  Then connect the battery negative to one side of the shunt
(doesn't matter which side as this is only completing the power circuit for
the TM-500.  What this will do is allow the full short circuit current of
the solar module to flow through the shunt all day long and be recorded by
the TM-500 meter.  No current is flowing to the battery, it is only there
provide power to the TM-500.  The TM-500 only draws 16mA (0.016A) with the
display off or 32mA (0.032A) with the display on so if your customer turns
the display off, he should only need about 140 amp-hours of battery storage
to run this test for 6 months and still only draw the batter down to 50%
DOD.  Actually one of the 98 amp-hour (@ the 100 hour rate) 12V Deka gel
cells would work great and would be cycled down to about 75% DOD over this
6
month test.  Depending on how often your customer checks the meter reading
(I would suggest weekly since you never know what can happen) all he would
need to do is divide the cumulative amp-hour reading on the TM-500 by the
short circuit current rating of his solar module and that will tell him how
many full sun hours he received since he checked the meter last.  This
TM-500 setup is just a theory in my head so don't try this at home.

What do you folks think of this?   It seems like a dandy way of figuring
out actual amp hours gained, and full sun hours.

I had a customer in Hawaii where the midday sun was frequently obscured by
clouds, and he wanted to know just how much power he'd get out of a given
solar module.  He's tried this set-up and since he's remote (with little
access to communications), I don't know if it's worked for him--but I'm
sure he would have dropped me a line if it DIDN'T work.

Chris Daum
Oasis Montana Inc.
406-777-4321 or 4309
406-777-2632  fax